- DIVISIONS OF THE BIBLE The Bible is sub divided into two major Sections known as the Testaments, viz; The Old and the New Testaments.
In the Old Testament, the New is CONCEALED
In the New Testament, the Old is REVEALED.
Of the 66 books that make up the Bible, the Old Testament consists of 39 while the New Testament consists of 27 books.
- CLASSIFICATION OF BOOKS OF THE BIBLE
Below is a simple classification of Bible Books.
I The Old Testament
- Books of Israel’s Beginnings. These are the Books of the Law, also known as The Pentateuch. They are the first five books of the Bible and of the Old Testament popularly referred to as the Books of Moses. They are:
- Historical Books. These are the books containing a detailed History of Israel and they are the next twelve Old Testament books, namely:
- 1 Samuel
- 2 Samuel
- 1 Kings
- 2 Kings
- 1 Chronicles
- 2 Chronicles
3. Poetry Books. These are also known as the Books of Everyday Wisdom or The Writings. They are the next five books, namely:
- Songs of Solomon
4. Books of the Prophets. These are sub divided into two, five Major and 12 Minor Prophets, which end the Old Testament, namely:
(a) Major Prophets
(b) Minor Prophets
II The New Testament
- The Gospels. Consisting of four books, named after the writers who had been with Jesus.
II History of the Christian (New Testament) Church, also known as the Acts of the Holy Spirit, namely:
Acts of the Apostles
- The Epistles: These are Letters which are divided into two, namely:
(a) Pauline Epistles: Letters written by Paul the Apostle to specified Churches.
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- 1 Thessalonians
- 2 Thessalonians
(b) General Epistles:
One written to the Jewish Christians in general, believed to be written by the Apostle Paul, but not confirmed by contemporary Bible Scholars, namely;
(2) Seven Letters written to Christians generally, named after the writers.
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter
- 1 John
- 2 John
- 3 John
- THE BOOK OF THE END: This is the last book of the Bible, and of the New Testament, known as